Thursday, July 26, 2012

A Few Weekend Suggestions


I always get asked by people what could they do over a weekend.  Because of my job I get to see many things in advance, like movies, Broadway shows, and sometimes comedy performances.  I thought that I would try and give up a few things that I like that might be of interest.

Being a comedian, I believe that I have a bit of a discerning eye, and I must say that Alec Mapa is one funny motherscratcher.  His beautifully crafted show blends poignancy and porno, fabulousness and filth, laughter and lewdness, and then he ties it all together with a sweet home movie.  His journey to fatherhood in BABY DADDY, is one of the most honest and hilarious stories ever told.  He starts by rooting his gayness in a life changing Tony Award performance and includes his experience with ‘brain washing lesbians’ on a Rosie O’Donnell cruise.  He speaks of the challenges that face anyone who wants to adopt a child in this country, and the sacrifices one must make to do it correctly.   His comic timing is impeccable and his stories are based in truth.  In my opinion, those attributes are what makes him a fantastic raconteur.  You will leave BABY DADDY feeling a true sense of joy.

It runs  in New York City until July 29, Thursday - Sunday at 7:30pm. The Laurie Beechman Theater is located inside West Bank Cafe at 407 West 42nd Street -- at Ninth Avenue, accessible from the A,C,E,N,R,V,F,1,2 & 3 trains at 42nd Street). Tickets are $22 (plus a $15 food/drink minimum). To purchase tickets call 212-352-3101 or visit www.SpinCycleNYC.com.



 This is a new documentary that really rocked me.  This tells the story of  Mexican-American singer/songwriter, Sixto Rodriguez. He was discovered in the early 70’s and with his soulful melodies and prophetic lyrics, he was projected to be one of the greatest recording artists of his generation, although his 2 albums simply bombed.  There was a lot of mystery that surrounded his sudden disappearance from the music business, but somehow a bootleg copy of his music made it to apartheid South Africa, and influenced a generation of musicians. Two South African fans then set out to find out what really happened to their hero, and their investigation led them to a story more extraordinary than any of the existing myths about the artist known as Rodriguez. 

This film won all kinds of awards on the festival circuit, including The Jury Prize and Audience Award at Sundance.  If you like documentary story telling, you cannot help but love this film. This has slow platform roll out in a few cities, but you can contact your local theaters and demand that they get this film.



OMG!  This movie is probably one of the darkest and most violent films that I have seen since PULP FICTION. I will say that this film is not for the faint of heart, but gosh darn it, I found myself squirming and uncomfortable one minute, and then laughing out loud the next.  This film is based on a play by Pulitzer Prize Winning writer, Tracy Letts, and directed by Oscar® winning Director of the FRENCH CONNECTION and THE EXORXIST, William Friedkin.  The cast is pretty amazing with Matthew McConaughey, Emile Hirsch, Juno Temple, Thomas Hayden Church, and the fearless, Gina Gershon.  I guarantee that by the end of this movie, you will have a whole new view of chicken.  Again, this is not a movie twhere you should bring your kids, and the NC-17 rating should really be enforced. 

Check some of these out, and tell me what you think.

Keep Laughing.Stay Fabulous. 












1 comment:

  1. OMG!!! I can't even tell you how much I love your blog!! Ok, I'll stop screaming now, but it's HILARIOUS! *last time...I swear!*

    So funny and insightful.

    HOWEVER, despite my frightening and neverending lust for all things McConaughey, I'm scared a you AND Killer Joe. LOL!

    ReplyDelete