Tuesday, November 6, 2012

You Must Vote



It is finally here: the political showdown of President Barack Obama and Former Gov. Mitt Romney. The one thing that the media seems to remind us all about is the closeness of the vote.  The polls are varied and skewed at every turn, and they reinforce the idea that every vote will seemingly count.  Considering the latest turn of natural disaster, the process may seem to be hampered in some areas. Do not let that stop you.

I recently went to Baltimore’s African-American History Museum, and I also got a chance to see Lincoln’s preliminary Emancipation Proclamation at the Schomburg Collection here in New York City.  As a middle aged African American man, I could not help but be touched by what I saw.  History shows the journey to voting and being recognized has been a struggle in one way or another for not only African-Americans and Women, but Latinos, Asians, and so many other disenfranchised people.  My parents were Honduran immigrants who became naturalized citizens of the United States during the 60’s.  I will always remember the pride that my parents took every chance they got to exercise their right as American citizens.  It is the one thing that truly equalizes EVERYONE.

When I see how history displays the struggle of voting for many, I couple that with the pride that my parents felt on days like today.  It is impossible to think that I would not exercise my opportunity to take part in the one truly common thing that I can do with absolute certainty in this country, regardless of socioeconomic status, skin color and heritage, and yes, even intelligence levels.  So I urge you to find your polling places, and do something.  I cannot tell you for whom you should vote; because once you are alone in that booth, the choice is all yours.  If you disagree with my politics or anyone else’s, then you cannot argue without exercising your right to vote, or simply if you don’t vote, then you can’t bitch!


Keep Laughing and Stay Fabulous

1 comment:

  1. May I please add, vote for whom you want, just because they cannot win, vote for them anyway.

    ReplyDelete